Sunday, April 30, 2017

Alexamenos Is Faithful


Three things inspired the short story below:
  1. One of my favorite books, Evangelism in the Early Church by Michael Green. In that book, there is the drawing of the graffiti above, found in the barracks of the imperial pages in Rome and dating from the third century. We don't know the details around it (Wikipedia page here), but I've always thought that it was the response of a young Christian's converts friends as they mock him. 
  2. A conjecture from The Hidden Romance of the New Testament by James Alexander Robinson, where the author makes a pretty good case for John Mark's house being the upper room of the Last Supper and for Mark himself being the youth who fled the Garden of Gethsemane. 
  3. A speculative short story by my friend Jim Slagle at Agent Intellect called Witness, which I can't seem to find the link to any longer. If I remember correctly, that story was about an old Christian condemned to die in the arena who learned from another who sat at the feet of John the brother of Jesus. 

Alexamenos Is Faithful 

There, scratched on the wall, is the accusation and insult: A figure worships at the foot of the cross, and on the cross, a man with a donkey’s head. It is said among the Romans that the Jews worshiped the head of an ass within the most holy part of their temple before Emperor Titus overthrew it. Beneath the imagery, the words, “Alexamenos worships his god.”

Rufus, Aquila, and the other boys are sniggering, watching my reaction.

So, this is how it feels to be a Christian?

Before I know what is happening, my eyes are filled with tears. Rufus’ face is filled with a wordless hatred. This is what you get for your betrayal, he says in a look. I grab my master’s equipment from the closet and then back to the door. The boys make way, but slap my head and holler as I run through. I have never been so humiliated!

***

Later that night, when I am at Phoebe’s house, I share what has happened to the group. The elder Pantenaeus speaks up, “You know, Alex, my grandmother told me about a story that she heard from the Evangelist Mark when he was here in Rome. He was a young believer, just as you are. He knew Jesus Himself, and even followed Jesus and His disciples into the garden on the night that Jesus was betrayed. When the soldiers came, Mark fled naked in his haste to get away. Mark knew Peter and the other apostles very well, and the church would often gather at his house in Jerusalem. Later, Mark went with Paul and Barnabas on their first journey into Asia, but turned back for fear. You see, he was willing to tell this to everyone to encourage them that it is normal to fear. What is important is that we overcome our fear, and the only way we can do that is through love.”

“You love your friends still. Don’t give up! Remember what Jesus said on the cross, ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing.’ Later in his life, Paul came to rely on Mark again and called him here to Rome to be with him in Paul’s last days. And Peter himself insisted Mark include the story of his denial into his gospel. What is important is how we end.”

“Love overcomes. Stay the course and continue to show kindness to your friends. Pray for them so that when you look into their eyes, they cannot deny that you mean them well. I fully believe that God will reveal who He is through you.”

***

(Six month later)

“Alexamenos is faithful.” That is the new graffiti written inside the barracks for the imperial pages. And it is written by Rufus, now not only my friend since childhood but my brother in Christ. 

No comments: