Sunday, November 08, 2015

Was Paul tempted sexually? 2 Corinthians 11:29 says so

Paul preaching in the Areopagus in Athens, by Raphael.

We all love Paul the Apostle. He's so earnest, so hardworking, so amazingly effective in planting churches! But did he also suffer the temptation to sin sexually? It's hard to imagine, but I believe he did based on 2 Corinthians 11:29:

Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? (NIV)

The New International Version provides a more literal translation for the Greek word puroomai, which literally means to burn. In the New Testament, this word is used only two times to refer to emotions: by Paul to refer to sexual temptation in 1 Corinthians 7:9 and by Paul again in 2 Corinthians 11:29 where he speaks of a burning feeling.

Most other English translations of the Bible follow the lead of the King James Version in translating puroomai to refer to indignation. In these translations, Paul is saying that he burns with indignation when others are led into sin.

"Yes, I feel weak, just like all of you, but I haven't given in"

But does this jive with the rest of chapter 11 and 12? Also, if Paul is the only New Testament writer to use puroomai to refer to emotions, shouldn't we at least consider that he would use the word in the same manner to refer to sexual temptation here?

This is a much more natural reading of 2 Corinthians 11 leading up to verse 29: "I've already made a fool of myself boasting about myself, since you all are impressed by such boasting. The physical hardships that I've had to deal with are far beyond the pale of what anyone else can claim to have endured. Likewise, the emotional hardship I endure is equally great. Not only do I constantly worry about all the churches under my care, but I face daily the same types of weaknesses and temptations that you all do, but I never give in to those things."

To me, this is a much more characteristic and natural reading of Paul's message here. You can imagine Paul pacing the room, dictating the letter to his amanuensis, becoming more and more enthused as he recounts all the hardships that he has undergone. But beyond the physical suffering that he has experienced, he wants them to know that he's just an ordinary guy. He also feels weak at times, and yes, he also is tempted sexually.

Astute readers in Corinth would have remembered that Paul used the word puroomai to refer to sexual temptation in a previous letter. Without elaboration, it would have been natural for them to understand Paul's meaning here as referring to his own private temptations that no one else could have known about had he not revealed it to them. But that's the mood he's in now.

In exasperation, Paul says in verse 30: "If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness." Yes, Paul says, I feel weak. I also burn with temptation. But I choose not to give in to those things for the sake of Jesus, because I don't want to disqualify myself for ministry.

Paul was not without normal sexual feeling. He considered it his right to take a believing wife with him as he ministered, as the other apostles did. But he gave up that right so that he might serve without concern for her wellbeing.

The take-away: Paul's not superhuman, and that's OK

So, what's the take-away for us believers today? Personally, I take heart knowing that Paul was just a regular guy in terms of the temptations that he faced. Sure, he was exceptional in that he disciplined himself ("beat his body to make it his slave," in his terms) beyond what most of us could imagine, but he was not immune. And if he could do it, then there's hope for you and I.


No comments: