Saturday, October 14, 2006

The parable of the faithful and unfaithful servants

Here's an excerpt of tomorrow's sermon, which is on The Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:14-30:
Unfortunately, I’m afraid this parable has a misleading name. “The Parable of the Talents” puts the emphasis on the talents, or a quantitative aspect. However, I think the real emphasis should be on the faithfulness or unfaithfulness of the servants! The parable should be called, “The Parable of the Faithful and Unfaithful Servants.” This puts the emphasis not on the quantity of money they produced, but on the quality of their attitude.

Many times, when we read this parable, we might feel like God is very demanding. We might think God will punish us if we don’t produce some obvious results. However, I want to remind you the reason the faithful servants were rewarded was because they were faithful, not because they produced a certain amount. And the reason the unfaithful servant was punished was because he was negligent and unfaithful, not because he didn’t produce obvious results.
As for the rest of the sermon, I've followed Adam Clarke's outline on those verses in his famous commentary.

2 comments:

Saur♥Kraut said...

beautiful! How did it go?

Tyson said...

Thanks, Saur. The sermon went off well. I actually had more to say than I thought ... I should have prepared more, though.