Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Jesus is difficult to understand

I'm a business writer, which means I (supposedly) specialize in making myself understood through words. So it bothers me just an eency-weensy bit that Jesus is so darned difficult to understand in the Book of John. Actually, the whole book is cryptic--no wonder the gnostics had a field day with it!

I was reading the Bible today on the bus when I questioned whether Jesus actually spoke the exact words quoted in John or not. This posed a problem, because I believe any real Christian has to believe in the inerrancy of scripture simply because it can't be inspired if it's not accurate. And if it's not inspired, then why are you believing it?

But take, for example, the part in John 6 where Jesus is talking about being the Bread of Life. Honestly, I don't blame many of his followers for leaving him because Jesus just doesn't seem to want to be understood. But, then again, maybe His aim was to test the Twelve, who did stay.

And so, in a way, I find myself like Peter when Jesus asked him if he would leave as well. Even though I don't like the confusing way He said them, I treasure Jesus' words because they are life to me. I echo Peter, "Lord, to whom shall I go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

3 comments:

Bipin Sen said...

good point. one of the first books that new believers are recommended is the gospel of john. i'm not sure if that helps or confuses more.

Tyson said...

I think people like John because there are some really nice, encouraging words from Jesus in there. But there are also some really bizzare things He says as well ... maybe my misunderstanding is due to a cultural disconnect?

Judy Callarman, Scrabble Has-Been said...

TS--I have been chewing on this for some years, and about five years ago I wrote some stuff about it in my journal. So I used that as a basis for my blog entry today with a link to this.