Tuesday, November 29, 2005

In this case, the embryos are my nephews

Some years before I arrived on this planet, invitro-fertilization (IVF) was the herald of a new Frankenstein-esque humanity and brought on many of the ethical debates now associated with embryonic stem cell research. But in the decades since, "test tube babies" have become commonplace. Wired News has started a three-part series about a renewed focus on IVF.

I have to say that IVF being controversial is relatively new to me. I have multiple family members who have children today due to IVF, or "fertility treatment." Fellow blogger Underground Logician first alerted me to what should have been an obvious logical impasse. As the Wired News article puts it: "If embryos are people, as anti-abortion activists argue, then how come so many of them are sitting in vats of liquid nitrogen in IVF clinics?"

Hm ... this is a tricky space, but I would like to point out that IVF is a proven technology that absolutely requires embryos while embryonic stem cell research is not only unproven for treatment of disease, but also can be done without destroying embryos. I'm looking forward to learning more.

No comments: