Monday, November 06, 2006

Why I get splashed at the bus stop

This morning, the rain was especially heavy, which caused me to miss the early bus. I had to wait about 20 minutes for the next bus to come along, and during that time formulated another of my renowned theories.

First, the question: Why do passing cars always manage to splash inordinately large amounts of water up on bus-stop dwellers? The first question is easily answered: Because there are large depressions in the road in front of the bus stop where pools of rain water collect.

Ah, but WHY must the water collect at that point?! Therein lies the rub.

I think people at the bus stop get splashed because the bus stops at the bus stop. And the bus is really heavy, right? Must be several tons, at least. And with dozens of stops at that precise point every day is certain to create strategically placed pools of water. Hence, my shoes are even now a bit damp.

2 comments:

Truth said...

I think the person who designed the roads had a sick sense of humor.

Judy Callarman, Scrabble Has-Been said...

And following along the lines of your heavy bus theory, I think perhaps the tendency of almost half of Americans to be obese could be contributing to the water splash problem, making the holes even deeper.