Thursday, November 30, 2006

Little baby fingers all stuck together

I was enjoying our fireplace with my wife the other night, and I had turned down the lights to enhance the romatic ambiance. Anyway, I was crushing some pizza boxes to use for the fire when my wife asked, "TS, are you smashing my glasses?" It was my first majorly stupid action in two days--with the lights down, I didn't notice my wife's glasses laying in front of the fireplace. The lenses were intact, but the wire frame was bent completely out of shape. I tried to bend it back to normal, but one of the arms broke.

Fast forward to tonight: I bought some superglue to try and fix my wife's glasses temporarily and had left the glue out on the kitchen table. Somehow, Cora got ahold of the superglue and was playing with it. My wife and I were eating dinner and noticed, and were talking about how she shouldn't play with it. My wife picked Cora up and took away the glue, then suddenly shouted, "She's stuck! She's stuck!" Cora had gotten glue all over both hands and was starting to cry as the glue set.

We rushed her over to the sink. The glue packaging said to use either nail polish remover or warm water with soap. Neither worked very well, and Cora was very frightened and wailing. Then comes the second majorly stupid action--I tried to use a razor blade to separate Cora's fingers, and had some success until I cut into her skin. What an idiot I am! Anyway, I learned and she lived. Eventually, when we only had a couple fingers on one hand left to unstick, we sat down and read books together while I slowly worked on the last part.

In case this ever happens to your baby: I found using coating some nail polish on a spoon with cotton, then sliding it back-and-forth between the fingers works quite well.

3 comments:

Bipin Sen said...

omigosh! i gave out a loud gasp when i got to the blade part... uhhh.. can i really say what's on my mind? ok.. maybe not.. i think you can imagine all the possibilities of what could happen with a squirming girl.

the other day we put a fake tattoo of a fish on priya's elbow thinking she'd be charmed by it. she howled and howled till i took it off. strange things.. these kids.

Tyson said...

Bipen, you don't have to say what's on your mind ... I already know I'm a freaking idiot! When I told my mom about the razor blade part, she also audibly gasped.

Thankfully, Cora's all ok now. The very small cut has healed, but she still has some abrasion where her finger got stuck to my wife's apron. And she still has the super glue coating her fingers, which I know makes her uncomfortable because the glue coating blocks sensitivity.

Judy Callarman, Scrabble Has-Been said...

Oh, what a horrible series of events! In emergency situations, we sometimes do not pause to think clearly. (I am including myself here!)

Once I cut my little boy's ear with scissors while I was trying to trim his hair. I felt so bad, I almost got sick at my stomach.