Sunday, November 27, 2005

A dark and gloomy world


Are the day-in, day-out overcast skies getting to me, or is this world a pretty negative place? I was thinking about this the other day driving home from work: why does negativity seem to be the norm for the human experience, with exceptions for goodness? I was trying to figure out why I kept sliding into negative comments when exchanging office banter. Of course, it's all said in half-jest, but it is just too easy to criticize our manufacturers, customers, or even myself. Why is that?

Why is it that bad news sells? Why is it that the easiest way to win in a debate is to focus on your opponents' weaknesses? Heck, even when God lists out the blessings for obedience and curses for disobedience in Deuteronomy 28, there are far more potential negative consequences.

So I was thinking about this situation and trying to square it with my belief in a good God who loves people. The only time I can think humans did not face this situation was in the Garden of Eden, when there was no pain or suffering, work was not burdensome, and we enjoyed a face-to-face relationship with God. In the beginning, there were limitless positive experiences and just one possible negative event ... and of course being the star-crossed species we are, we had to mess that up.

The good news is that God has a plan in motion to set things right. One day, I'm not going to have to force myself to produce positive chit-chat. One day, overcoming evil with good won't be like swimming upstream, but rather like floating downstream. It's going to be like described in Revelation 21:
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

No comments: