Thursday, October 27, 2005

¼", ½", ¾" ... All about my new job

Well, I got a job. Why so glum, you ask? Because it's not really something I'm terribly excited about nor does it pay a lot. To be honest, I was really disappointed God didn't help me get a better position. It's not kosher to admit disappointment with God in some Christian circles, but that's what I felt. On Tuesday, my first day of work, I was really wallowing in self-pity. My job title is content editor, but what I'm really doing is entering in door hardware catalog information to our company's web back-end. It's really tedious and I can't surf the web all day reading news like with my previous job (believe it or not, but I actually got paid to read the news).

Yesterday and today were progressively better. Not only am I at peace with God, but I'm starting to enjoy my work. My co-workers are cool and we have really good equipment and stuff to work with. I'm even starting to like using the Alt key to type preformatted fractions like ¼. I shared baby photos with one lady, and took the lead on a door hardware glossary we're putting together. (Do you know what a pintle is?) The company is also growing like gangbusters, and I'm working on a new site they're launching.

Anyway, when I was really disappointed with God on Tuesday, I remembered 1 Timothy 6:6-9:
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.
The first sentence really struck me ... But godliness with contentment is great gain. I really felt convicted. I need to be content with what I have. I mean, my family is not starving and we love each other. And this job is a permanent position with benefits and possibility of moving up. And I am seriously looking at a UW Extension technical writing certificate that starts next year. Things are good. ... And I still trust God.

No comments: