Saturday, July 30, 2005

Time for the U.S. to develop a conscience


I don't often blog about international relations, but that doesn't mean I'm not opinionated about such matters. And while I admit being ignorant about many nuances, specifics, and pecularities, there are some instances where wrong and right are very clear to me. And in those instances, I feel morally obligated to express my opinions loudly.

U.S. support for the Karimov regime in Uzbekistan is one of those instances where we are clearly doing wrong. From what I understand, the United States turned a blind eye to the increasingly oppressive tendencies of Islam Karimov, the once-elected "president" of Uzbekistan. Why? For the same reason we armed the mujahadeen (including Osama bin Laden) in Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein in the 1980s: for geostrategic benefit.

Of course, those previous alliances came back to bite us in the butt big-time, and now it seems our relationship with Karimov (we have been using a well-situated airfield in Uzbekistan since the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001) is bearing its real fruit. The Washington Post reports that Uzbekistan has given the United States 180 days to pack up and leave. Our offense? Facilitating the U.N. rescue of wanted Uzbekis who fled to neighboring Kazakhstan after the massacre a few months ago. They were scheduled to be sent back to Karimov, who is known to boil his enemies. Of course, the Bush administration is urging a "cooling off" period. Why?!

I say put Karimov on our blacklist now, and let him play with his other dictatorial friends at the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. No more providing millitary training and economic grants to dictators who not only show no willingness to democratize, but actively work against U.S. interests.

I'm not against active U.S. involvement overseas to defend national interests. But I also believe good ends require using the right means.

While we are on the subject, what are your thoughts on the U.S. relationship with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and China? What is the right balance of engagement?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, ts, sorry I didn't comment on this earlier, but I just wanted to say:

Right on!

Karimov is a monster and as an American I am ashamed that my country supports him.

I'm not too keen on Pakistan or Saudi Arabia, either (actually I could make a list), but Uzbekistan is probably the worst of the batch.

Tyson said...

note to all: dan in china is a known criminal and his blog contains all sorts of scandalous stuff. that said, he spent some time in kazakhstan with the peace corps, so knows some of which he speaks in this post.

so you didn't mention china, dan. should china get the squeeze cause it still operates labor camps where inmates make things like pirated videogame consoles?